I do art journaling and enjoy upcycling books to use as art journals. In this 1 hour Google Hangout I will show you how to make your own art journal from a used book!
This event has finished. If I hear from enough people I will do another: drop me a line!!
April 16, 2015
2-3 pm EST
This is optional, only if you want to start making yours during the session.
- gesso (white)
- old credit card or keycard
- sandpaper (medium tooth) if your book has a shiny cover
- freezer paper, wax paper or paper you’re going to throw away anyway (larger than the size of the sheets in your book)
- hair dryer (optional but recommended)
- exacto knife and metal edged ruler (if you have a thick book)
- wide paint brush (i.e. 1″)
- a used book!
Tips on picking a used book
What to look for:
- hard or soft covered, whatever suits you,
- know what size you like working in: I recommend something near 8×10″ or a children’s picture books somewhere in the range of 10×13″
- bonus if you find a book with interesting content that will provide compelling backgrounds to your art
- check your local recycling center and grab a few free books!!
What to avoid:
- books with tissue-thin or damaged pages
- books that are more than 200 pages
- books whose binding is falling apart or very loose
- books with mildew damage
If you want to know more about what art journaling is – check this out: http://